Student Travel Awards: ASL or ASL-Sponsored Meetings
Student members of the ASL may apply for travel grants to ASL or ASL-sponsored meetings.
ASL Meetings: In addition to funds provided by the ASL, student travel awards for ASL meetings are supported by a grant from the US National Science Foundation. NSF funds for meetings outside of North America may only be awarded to students at USA universities and to citizens and permanent residents of the USA. Air travel paid for using NSF funds must be in accordance with the Fly America Act. You do not need to be a member of the ASL to apply for ASL meeting funding.
ASL-Sponsored Meetings: Funds for ASL-sponsored meetings are solely provided by the ASL. NSF restrictions do not apply; however, you must be a member of the ASL to apply for ASL-Sponsored meeting funding.
To be considered for a travel award, please complete the following requirements:
- Send a brief (preferably one page) letter of application that includes:
- Your name
- Your home institution
- Your thesis supervisor’s name
- A one-paragraph description of your studies and work in logic
- A paragraph indicating why it is important to attend the meeting
- Your estimate of the travel expenses you will incur
- For citizens or residents of the USA: citizenship or Visa status
- Optional: an indication of your gender and minority status. Women and members of minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Ask your thesis supervisor to send a brief recommendation letter.
Application by email is strongly encouraged; put “ASL travel application” in the subject line of your message. For ASL student member travel grants to ASL or ASL-sponsored meetings (other than the North American Annual Meeting and the European Summer Meeting), applications and recommendations must be received at least three months prior to the start of the meeting at the ASL Business Office:
ASL, Department of Mathematics, University of Connecticut
341 Mansfield Road, U-1009
Storrs, CT 06269-1009, USA
Decisions will be communicated at least two months prior to the meeting.